What is a traditional tenancy agreement?

Quite simply, you rent the pub from the Brewery and, on a fully-tied basis, you stock alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks we supply.  Apart from that, you’re your own boss! 

What is the difference between a tenanted and managed pub?

TENANTED: You will rent the pub from the Brewery with a contract to buy all alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks from us, after that, you are your own boss! There are no rent reviews and our agreements are completely transparent to make sure you have no nasty surprises when it comes to repairs, redecoration or compliance obligations. The majority of Robinson’s pubs are tenancies.

We're always on the look out for people with the right skills and experience to join us as tenants to run one of our Robinsons pubs.

MANAGED: A managed pub on the other hand is a pub that is run by a company, who then appoint managers and other staff to run the business. 

Work with us

We're always on the lookout for bright, talented, hardworking individuals with excellent customer service skills to work in them. We offer a range of opportunities from bar and waiting staff to chefs, kitchen staff and managers.

What are the benefits of a tenancy agreement?

You keep all the profits. How about that for a low-risk investment! We insure and maintain the fabric of the building and provide the exterior decoration and signage. It’s a simple agreement. Fair and easy to understand. The set-up costs are modest, and you enjoy extensive support from our team of Business Development, Marketing, Catering, and Wines and Spirits Managers.

Who are we looking for?

Possibly you! We’re looking for enthusiastic and ambitious people with a flair for the hospitality industry. You may have many transferable skills from different backgrounds, so we’re looking for strong communicators with good business sense. No previous experience is necessary, but you must have a minimum £10,000 - £15,000 investment.

In a tenanted pub, what support can I expect?

You will be joining an independent family brewer, so you can be guaranteed of the personal touch in our support of your business. We provide a comprehensive support package, which can be tailored to your individual needs and we also take care of any structural issues with the property, repairs, and maintenance. Being a family brewery, we pride ourselves on the fact that you, as a licensee, can have face-to-face contact with our Directors, should the need arise.

You will also have access to:

  • Group discounts for utilities, catering and other suppliers.
  • Your own Business Development Manager who will be your main point of contact on a day- to-day basis, to help keep you up to date with any offers or promotions, provide business support advice, and generally be someone to support you in developing your business.
  • Our Retail Marketing Manager for more specific support on how to drive footfall to your pubs, retail standards and retail marketing tips.
  • Specialists in wine and catering to support you in developing a cost-effective business with food and wine ideas bespoke to your business.
  • A whole variety of training: licensing, responsible retailing, beer & cellar quality and marketing.
  • You will be required to attend our 3-day Induction Programme.
  • Promotions specifically available to our tenants - for example, pizza ovens and brilliant frozen pizzas within a low cost long term purchasing scheme.
  • Our My Pub Hub tool kit, which allows you to personalise your own wine and food menus, plus banners, posters and tent cards for key calendar events or activities in your pub - from Christmas to karaoke. Including a comprehensive support section.
  • Free pub website as part of the main Robinsons website to showcase your pub, upload menus, share events, store a database, links to social media and more.
  • Digital marketing, social media and PR support to help you promote your pub.

How much will it cost me?

The cost depends upon the size of the pub, its current turnover, location and the furniture/ fittings you will be purchasing. Typical 'ingoing costs' range from £12,000 to £100,000 (exc. VAT) comprised of: Bond + stock at value + advance rent + contractual charges + fixtures and fittings. Typical rents payable bi-weekly by Direct Debit. A bond will be required upon signing the agreement. The level of the bond is likely to be between £5,000 and £10,000.

How much can I expect to earn?

It’s true what they say: you only get out what you put in. Your pub is your business. So your earnings will depend on the size of the pub, its location, the services you offer, the events you run, and your customers. The more effort you put in, the more profit you are likely to make.

What are the terms of trading?

We operate a Full Tie on purchases of all wet products. Payment for products at our standard wholesale prices is normally due 14 days in arrears by Direct Debit. The price list and any discount structure agreed will continue throughout the term of the agreement subject to us updating the price and product list from time to time.

How is the rent for a pub agreed?

Rent will be agreed before you move into the pub and may or may not include rent steps. There will be an initial payment of 4 weeks rent in advance when you sign the agreement. After this 4 weeks period, rent (which includes VAT) is paid fortnightly in advance by Direct Debit.

  • Rent is index linked, adjusted up or down in line with the Retail Price Index (RPI).
  • Rent may alter by agreement if we agree to spend money altering or extending the premises.

Will I need to pay insurance?

We will arrange insurance for the building, and this is not recharged to the tenant. Licensees are required to cover for the contents including trade inventory, stock, all fixed glass, employers, third party and public liabilities, loss caused by interruption to the business and any loss of money.

Will I own the pub's fixtures and fittings?

You must purchase the loose trade inventory at valuation outright or via a brewery loan. Alternatively arrangements can be made to rent the inventory from us. The value will be determined by an independent trade valuer. You may not sell or charge the inventory to any third party.

How do I arrange gaming machines?

You must obtain amusement machines from nominated suppliers. Your BDM will be able to direct you to the appropriate suppliers. You are entitled to retain 50% of net income after supplier share.

Will I own the beer dispense equipment?

The beer dispense equipment will remain in the property of Robinsons Brewery or nominated suppliers. The company that has supplied the equipment will be responsible for the repair and maintenance. Cellar cooling equipment is your responsibility and we have arranged a group servicing scheme to cover this. You must allow us or, if relevant, our agents access to the Premises to install and inspect Cellar Monitoring Equipment.

Am I responsible for repairs?

Robinsons Brewery is responsible for all major repairs to the fabric of the building, as well as external decoration and signage. As the licensee, your responsibility is to keep the premises and all drains, reasonably accessible gutters, gulley’s, downpipes, and all grease traps, lavatories, sinks etc. in good order and condition. You are required to keep the premises in reasonable decorative order; this includes the domestic areas.

Do I hold the premises license?

Robinsons hold the Premises License for all houses. The premises may be used as a fully licensed public house for the retail sale of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and the ancillary provision of accommodation, food and other refreshment. You must also hold a Personal License and be named as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) for the Premises, unless we consent to some other person being the DPS. The Tenancy is not assignable and does not include any value for goodwill.

Do you offer any training?

Absolutely! We’ve been running Licensee Training Courses at the Brewery for more than twenty years.

We run a compulsory three-day Induction Programme for all new licensees. This gives you the advice and knowledge you need to run a successful Robinsons pub. It’s an essential introduction to your partnership with us.

The Programme includes cellar management, legal obligations, marketing and promotions, food, wine, and an introduction to our brands.

You will also have the opportunity to join a Brewery Tour. This forms part of the package of support you receive free of charge when you join us. There is no additional cost.

What about career development?

We’re a dynamic company, with a clear eye on the future and ambitious growth plans. We’re one of the largest independent family brewers in the country, with almost 180 years industry experience.

New opportunities are constantly arising and there are lots of prospects to ‘move on’ within our pub estate as your ambitions grow. All our pub vacancies are posted on our website.

How do I terminate the agreement?

Everybody has the right to change their mind and move on with their life. We understand this. That’s why either party (you or Robinsons) can terminate the agreement by putting notice in writing giving 3, 6, or 12 months’ notice at any time during the tenancy, depending on the length of the agreement.

What do I do next?

That’s easy. Pick up the phone and call us on 0161 612 4112 for a friendly, informal, no-obligation chat.

What happens then?

If we feel that we can successfully work together, our Business Opportunities Manager will arrange to meet you, discuss your chosen pub or go through the opportunities currently available, and agree the best way forward.  There will be no pressure…no hard selling…and no commitment until you are entirely sure that the arrangement is right for you and your future.

Please Note

  • These questions and answers are for guidance only. 
  • Subject to contract and formal Tenancy Agreement. 
  • A full copy of the Tenancy Agreement can be made available to you.